Today’s Design Activities
Some notes, links, and goodies for tonight’s class.
- Blog Comment activity: find your method of tracking. Try Liz’s idea to star in Google Reader
- Flickr Activity: Monitor your own comment activity http://www.flickr.com/activity/replies/
- Twitter Activity for UMW Section 2: https://twitter.com/#!/cogdog/umwsp122
- Your own Twitter ds106 Activity: Advanced search on your user name and #ds106 hashtag
ds106 Cat Craziness: Idea of Riffing
- Fat Cats Make Art Better Assignment
- Something weird… Cat Breading (WTF?)
- … Becomes a ds106 Assignment!
- Seriously, where are the dogs?
- They can be just as bizarre
but this is just wrong!
- Jim Groom Breading
- Noise Professor’s #jimgroomart
- John does Jim Groom versus Haters
- Rapid Creation+twitter sharing = equivalent of Jamming?
Rapid Design Challenge: Valentine Cards
- Pick a card from the set: http://flickr.com/photos/cali4beach
- Use any software to add a caption to make this a “sorry I forgot your valentine’s day card”
- Post to flickr and tag ds106valentine
- Send a tweet with your flickr image URL and the #ds106 hash tag
Something Different: The StoryBox
- Join the wireless network “Story Box: Share Yours”
- In your web browser, go to http://piratebox.local
- Explore! Upload at least one image that has not been posted on the internet.
You can find your coupon for sharing something inside the StoryBox.
In Class Design Challenge
Create a postcard for a place from a movie or work of fiction. See as an exmaple the LOTR ones created for Mordor & More… by Spring 2011 student chaiPhotos
- Form a team of four people.
- Quickly decide on a movie to use and send this out on twitter (include #ds106 hash tag).
- Decide how to represent the movie’s location as a postcard.
- Figure out how to divide up the work. One person might create the front graphic; one might do the stamp, one might develop the text and content to be written on the back, and one person might put it all together as a blog post.
- Send a link to your final work via twitter (do you know what hashtag to use?) and include the names of your team mates.
This has actually been created as a new Design Assignment, Postcards from Magical Places. If you write a blog post about it and detail your portion of creating the group project, you can earn an extra 1 star of work credit this week.
It’s the time in the semester where I need to meet with you individually to review your work and progress. Please use http://tungle.me/cogdog to schedule a 15 minute slot to meet between Monday 2/20 and Wednesday 2/29. This is mandatory.