Week 5: It’s Time to Design
This week we move into the Design Assignments portion of the class- the work here involved more manipulation of graphics than just working with photos, we introduce use of typography, color, symbols. You will want to be getting more familiar with a graphics tool that allows the use of layers, such as GIMP or Aviary.
In class, we reviewed a bit of Design Elements:
and students were charged with a “design blitz” to find examples in the room or the hallway- our group nabbed 62 photos, tagged in flickr:
They also added these to a group edited collection of resources and notes taken during class, available at http://bit.ly/ds106-design-notes.
We then had a conversation with Tim Owens spoke about design:
Some resources shared by Tim include:
- Tim Owens “We are All Artists” http://www.timmmmyboy.com/2011/02/we-are-all-artists/
audio We Can All be Artists (Feb 2010)
- The adjacent possible http://www.practicallyefficient.com/2010/09/28/the-adjacent-possible/
- Matt Ridley: “When Ideas Have Sex” (TED Talk) http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_ridley_when_ideas_have_sex.html
- The Noun Project http://thenounproject.com/
- dribbble http://dribbble.com/