From YouTube Press Stats
- 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute, or one hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second.
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views or almost 140 views for every person on Earth
- 500 years of YouTube video are watched every day on Facebook, and over 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute
- More than 50% of videos on YouTube have been rated or include comments from the community
How do we understand it?
Michael Wesch, Kansas State University approaches as an anthropological study, see Ethnography of you tube
Is It Real? Lonelygirl15 and fandom
Current meme suggested in class- Surprised Kitty
Locally Produced thoseguys.tv Meet The Girl Who Lost Her Feet to Video Games
- Form Groups of 3-4
- Pick number between 1 and 10
- View and analyze viral video for that number from http://www.squidoo.com/best-youtube-memes
- Tweet out your video.
- Tweet it out: why is it popular? what works? what does not?
- Tweet out 2 variants found in related videos, how is it related?
Explore and add at least 2 examples and one new genre to http://bit.ly/youtube-genres